Thursday, January 29, 2009

TV Trouble.

Recently I realized I needed a new TV for the spare bedroom. I have actually wanted one for awhile. I have had a tube television, a fifty dollar special at Walmart some years ago. Its bulky 13 inch and has rabbit ears. the remote is worn in and to turn the volume up and down you practically have to mash your finger down. An inconvenience yes but I liked my little TV. As February neared I new it was time to venture out and buy a new one. I started my search online as always. I quickly realized that the smallest I could buy online was a 19 inch. Well you know the normal American the bigger the better. Why people put such huge TV sets in such small rooms is beyond me. I quickly got frustrated with my searches at Target, Best Buy and even Walmart. After all it is just for the spare bedroom I wasn't looking for a high dollar WOW look at me TV. I headed to work the next day and a coworker mentioned that Walmart had an ad with a good deal on a 19 inch TV set. It was a brand I had never heard of but apparently it got good reviews on consumer reports. Well unfortunately I had sent my husband to Target the night before to purchase a 19 inch TV I had seen online. It was a useless piece of...well you know. These new flat panel TVs look like computer monitors. Who wants that staring at them. How ugly! I tried to get the base on the new tv because it didn't come attached. It wouldn't go on and I didn't want to break it. So I got it in as far as possible and then set it on the table to see what kind of picture quality I could get. Digital is a whole new ballgame. I refuse to subscribe to cable and pay for TV. So yes I am using rabbit ears, proudly I must say. I have already Had digital TV for over a year in my living room. So I knew how good the picture quality was. I had already experienced that when the TV wasn't getting good signal it would just freeze...much different than the static of yesteryear. The new TV was getting horrible signal. I was having trouble programming it. I would have the TV scan for channels and I would have to redo every time I wanted to watch it. The 19 inch size was too big for the room. I was beginning to feel really old! I keep thinking; what happened to the good old days, I just want a simple tube TV. I thought I payed two hundred and fifty dollars for this headache. I gave it a chance for about 3 days. Then once the weekend arrived my husband took it back. The sales asked him what was wrong with the TV and his reply was what wasn't wrong with it??? He ended up at Walmart for a TV I had seen in an ad. Of course they were out of it. However I finally got the perfect little TV. It is 15 inch and more rectangular in styling. It is the LCD screen, which I originally hated but this one is great. It is perfect and I love it. The picture is great and NO reception problems. Who knew that buying a simple tv could be such an ordeal. So now that the nightmare is over I can just enjoy life. Oh and how nice it was to hear they are extending the digital switch until June. I could have put off the headache until June. Oh well...........

1 comment:

Candycane said...

it looks great in that room. i am going to put a tv in my kitchen, just need dish to come out and run a line. i cant live w/o satelite. :) and since i spend so much time in kitchen cooking and cleaning and serving two little girls, i figured i might as well be entertained too! wish me luck!