Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Nostradamus
The title may seem a little strange. Let me explain...About two weeks ago a bird lands on my windshield as I sat in my car in the driveway talking on my cell phone. I was shocked! I thought it sorta strange as the bird was staring at me. I can say this has never happened to me before. It was like he was attracted to my voice. I then finished my phone conversation and proceeded to pull into my garage. Thinking at this point the bird would just fly off. Well It didn't it just settled on the hood of my car instead. I am a little weary being a city girl and not used to wildlife at all. I get out of my car and run to the door. I leave the garage door open hoping this bird will leave. Later a girlfriend comes over and she visits for awhile. Once she decided to leave I walk her out and look into my garage and there the bird is on my husbands truck. He is just hanging out. I am irritated by this and so I mention things to my girlfriend. At this point I call the bird psycho bird and my girlfriend throws a paper in the direction of it. It works and the bird flies right at us. We run screaming to safety. She in her car and me to the side of the house. The bird is now on the street looking at me and walking back into our direction. He then flies to the top of her car. I am laughing hysterically. What the HELL??? I then wave goodbye and start walking to my front door when this bird flies right at me. I make it inside. Thank God! So that night the bird sleeps in my garage and then the next 3 nights. I do some research and realize I have what is called a rolling pigeon hanging out with me. These birds are prized birds used to be known as messengers. You could let them fly off and they would carry a message and then return to you. They are trained birds and most likely this bird was someones pet. The next three nights we would open the garage door curiously and just watch him in amazement. He was medium in size. He seemed to want human interaction. He would nuzzle his head in his chest to sleep. He was handsome when he did this. We were sure if we extended our hand the bird would fly right to us. We never tried this however. He would leave in the morning and come back to sleep in our garage in the evening. He did this for three nights. I named him Nostradamus. I had a new appreciation for birds. I remember leaving one morning for work and there Nostradamus was on the back of my husbands truck just looking at me. It was as if he was seeing me off. Since then I have not seen him. He hasn't come back. I did hear from a friend at work that when a bird comes to you many ancient Indian tribes believed it was good luck. I will say we got some great and unexpected news during Nostradamus's stay. My heart grew fond of him in such a short time. I got a few video clips of him and in later review thought I saw a band on his foot. Since I never held Nostradamus I never was able to investigate. I do hope he found his way home safely and I am happy he choose me to hang with for awhile. He made my heart sing as I got to know more about him and his kind. Who knew a simple pigeon could make such a diffrence. I always viewed them as the ugly bird. Never will I say that again. They are the smart bird. Below are a few pictures of Nostradamus.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
ok, now i just feel plain bad for tossing your paper at him. LOL. it was funny though that he starting walking back over and sat on my car then....
let me know if he comes back. did you ever set out seed for him???
Post a Comment