If you are lucky you get to learn something everyday. Thanks to PBS or Channel 13 that opportunity comes around often. Last night was a show on the history of money right up until recent times. I found it fascinating! I am just honestly amazed how we got into the mess we are in. The world is more connected than it has ever been. If one nation falls it appears to be a domino effect. I try to stay optimistic about current affairs. The truth is the news media seem to always try and put fear into people. I try to limit my news watching but I also like to be informed on current events. It seems our country is happy to stay in lala land eating bon bons and watching Access Hollywood mindlessly. It is sad to go to work and people are more in the know on American Idol than they are on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. I don't think we have to be all absorbed in it but at least be a little educated. It seems to get harder and harder to have intelligent conversation in this society. People having healthy debates on issues that really matter. Luckily I have a husband who enjoys staying informed on world affairs. We will sometimes sit on the couch and talk for hours on various topics. My mother and her boyfriend are another pair who enjoy intelligent conversation. We enjoy many good laughs as well.
I must touch on another topic that often really agitates me about our society. It is called child worship. I understand children are great and wonderful gifts. However, it seems parents of today worship in unhealthy ways there children. For example, not letting them out of there sight at all. ohhing and ahhing over every little sound and movement. Planing there life in every detail. I am just wondering is this how the mothers of the past handled there kids and I bet the answer would be no. It has gotten out of control. The over protective thing can't be healthy. Having video cameras to watch baby sitters, special strollers, bottles, antibacterial cleanser for hands, toys, etc. Playing Mozart while baby is still in the womb, researching every little thing before he plays or eats, or drinks. It is tiring to even think about it. Of course not every parent falls victim to this in our society but a vast majority buy into the idea. It is good to have a healthy view of your child and what it can bring to your life. The thing is I honestly feel a little sorry for some of the kids born to some of these over baring parents. I hope the kid NEVER disappoints there parents. All hell would surely break loose should that occur. I think many parents of today need a healthy dose of, I think it is called BALANCE. It is true no one on the planet will look at your child the same way you would. There is a whole world outside of your procreation just waiting to be discovered.
I think in the end Americans are all a little self centered some more than others. The reality is we must open up and become more worldly. We can all benefit. Get out of the hypnotized, self absorbed world you are currently living in. I am talking to me myself on this too. History in this century seems to be unfolding on a daily basis. It is a time when we can't afford to be lazy and asleep. Balance is the key...
So get up and go to work and instead of listing to music, maybe listen to some current events on PBS radio. If you prefer the music than maybe a read of your local newspaper at break. Read a book on a subject you don't know much about. Then there is always Discovery channel for a fun learning experience. Open your eyes people, wake up your world is waiting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment