Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Asleep in Life

It seems many people think that they are truly awake and aware (me included). I watched a movie this weekend that kinda reminded me of that. It implied that many of the answers are staring at us in the face from day one we just don't notice. Its kinda weird that we are supposed to be highly intelligent beings and yet we fail to notice the simplest of things. It happens all the time. I notice with myself the impulse to buy something but do I really need it or did all the commercials and hype over something tell me it would make my life somehow better than it already was. The commercials play on our insecurities and no one is aware because everyday we buy into it. Is it possible many of us are like zombies who never question our actions? Ok maybe we question our actions once we hit a red zone in some way. Look at all the obesity. You are telling me that all these millions of people had no idea they were gaining weight...Many people claim that. Or is it more likely people were just mindlessly going about there day letting circumstance steer them and not the very thing that sets us a part from other mammals, a highly functioning mind. I myself had a conversation with my husband one evening about this very thing and he mentioned from reading an article that commercials change picture every 1.6 seconds or there abouts. We put it to the test and it was true I was amazed. The commercials are hypnotising us and once we get to our show we are very open to suggestion. It puts our minds in a trance....Unbelievable! I find myself muting the commercials nowadays. Most people aren't even aware of it I wasn't. I counted one day the amount of car commercials in an intermission and it was one right after the other. The same with diamond commercials. It so plays on our insecurities. I have learned a lesson in my own life; I now question in my mind every action and every thought. I feel it keeps me more aware... Life isn't about as we all know about how much we can consume yet why is everyone so apt to go buy everything they see? Its like we know the basics yet we don't follow our intelligence; if actions speak louder than words we are all asleep at the wheel. How did it come to this. Global warming is a huge issue and yet people still flock to go buy gas guzzling SUV's. Do people me included really think they don't impact the world?

No comments: