Sunday, December 16, 2007

Seeing Through Appearences

Well its the end of the weekend for me and back to work tomorrow. I hate Mondays! I shouldn't say hate it is a very strong word but I do dislike Mondays a whole lot. The fact that I am having issues with a coworker old enough to be my mother is sad. Things should be resolved this week sometime. I have decided to be the bigger person and call her on her rude behavior. So Tuesday I will have a nice heart to heart with her. I am sure that we will never be best friends nor would I even want to but at least we will know where we stand and can hopefully get past our differences. Its funny even if someone is much older than you that doesn't mean they are mature. I guess I have as I have gotten older had to change my view of age. I no longer look up to people based on age alone. They have to prove to me that they have gained wisdom on there journey and not just years.

I have met people half my age with more wisdom than me. It doesn't happen often but when it does its amazing. For me the biggest tell tale sign of a wise person is in there actions. You can talk all you want and say all the right things but if you don't walk the walk you minus well not even talk. I mean you don't get financial advice from a person who has filled for bankruptcy and is living paycheck to paycheck. You also wouldn't pay for a personal trainer who is fat and unhealthy. That wouldn't make any sense... You have to watch how people live and its easy to fake many things in life.

Anyone can fake a perfect life and many people try. You buy the house you can't afford and then put all the things in it on credit. Go ahead buy that nice new car you deserve that too. Then you realize you can't even buy groceries....by God but to everyone else you sure look good. You might even be able to fool yourself into thinking you have it all together. I see so many people like that and I too have been lured into the falsehood of that idea. Luckily I didn't buy it I saw through it.
I grew up in a family that looked at success by how much money you make and what it can buy you. I grew up in elementary being the kid who didn't wear the name brand things or have the money when it was time to drive for that new car. Don't get me wrong we weren't poor but compared to those around me I wasn't really on the same level. Anyway my mom through hard work and determination ended up a high paid executive and in high school you could say money started to not be an issue as much.
I am now married and have a wonderful husband who has helped me see the lies that I have been fed buy what I thought I never had. Money equals happiness. I always thought that and still do sometimes. I remember my step dad telling me "well I would rather be rich and unhappy than poor and unhappy" I still hear that in my head sometimes. The gifts I got on Christmas and Birthdays told me how much someone loved me. That was a big one for a long time.
I tell my husband to be patient with me because you can't change a lifetime of warped thinking overnight. I am growing wiser but I see those around who aren't and it pains me. They continue searching and looking and hoping that if they just made a few more bucks or bought that one last item things would be just right. If the habits aren't broken you could make billions and still not have enough money or find happiness.
As I always say we each have our own journey to travel. I just hope they find the truth along the way. I will continue to be open to it...

1 comment:

Candycane said...

i really liked this one. you spread the truth! i'm w/ you on the elders. as i get older, the elders don't seem so wise at times.