Thursday, November 8, 2007

Stength in times of Uncertainty


Strength what is it anyway... I always thought of the body builder lifting two times his own body weight. That was strong when I was around the age of 10. I also thought of strength as the kid who won the track meet or could exceed all the other kids in physical abilities. It was always on a physical level. As I got older and was presented with more issues that would test my inner abilities I changed my view. I became aware that my inner strength would be much more relevant to my life than any physical strength could ever require.

Inner strength the ability to push through the most trying of situations with certain grace and assurance. I have seen many people with inner strength but without the grace to go with it. The people that really inspire me are the people who manage to go through difficult times and come through them as whole as they were before they went through it. Almost like they are walking through fire and show up untouched when they get to the other side. I am not talking about the people who put on a show and act like everything is fine. I mean the people who accept the situations they are put in and trust there is a reason beyond there understanding and learn and grow and in the end hold there head up and enjoy there life despite the difficulty. That is true wisdom. That is what I aspire to. They are not bitter or angry they totally and completely accept. They are like the tree in the storm and things move through them. They do not wallow in the difficulty or play the victim even if they are one. I have known very few people who truly encompass this and I feel honored to know them. The freedom they truly have most of us will never know.

Inner strength is a gift and it is refined with every difficulty we encounter. I remind myself of this when I come across things in my very own life. I am far from having the grace I admire so much in some; however. I wallow and complain and wonder why me. My life stops for difficulties. I may wast years of my life pondering away....

I was thinking about this today as I thought of loved ones. Loved ones I have lost and loved ones I know going through there own tests of inner strength. I wonder what strength meant and means to them. I wonder if they have doubted there own strength.... I am sure they have.

The thought of a loved one doubting there own strength...The thought makes me sad. Yet I know I have done it myself.

So here's to strength and grace...May we all truly gain insight.


Anna

2 comments:

Candycane said...

you know how to pull at my tear ducts. I think you do encompass strength, or else you wouldn't be here. YOU have so much wisdom. You are these things and more. Oh Anna, someday...on a beach w/ your bff forever......the things we have yet to talk about it!

A said...

candlebox,


Well you are sweet it does make me feel nice to know I illecit emotion in my writing. Yes my dear someday we will have to do the beach thing. There definatly is never ever nothing to talk about.. :)