Friday, December 5, 2008

The Unexpected

To think I would ever take my laid back simple, low stress life for granted. What the old saying "you don't know what you got till its gone" or something like that. Thursday morning I wake up like any other morning to the sound of my cell phone wake up call. I stumble out of bed and turn it off as I have it set for a whole hour earlier than I actually have to wake up. I always have hopes of getting up that hour earlier have breakfast watch a little news. When it goes off sleep just sounds so much better. SO on Thursday morning once up I realize that our smoke alarm is warning us the battery is low and beeps a loud beep at spuratic intrevils. My dog is shaking and aparently she has panic episodes too. So I let her out. I assume the loud pitch hurts her ears. I wake my husband up early to let him know he should probably take care of it before he goes off to work. THe thought of Sugar having to endure that beep all day would be wrong. Ben, tells me however that it should stop and it won't do that all day. Off to work I go. Around lunch I had the thought to go home and just check on Sugar. I however decided to go get a bite and take it back to work. IO wasn't in the mood to feel rushed at lunch. On my way home from work I had a craving for curly fries from Jack and the Box. I stop and wait for what seems like forever for my fries. Then head to the house. I walk through the door greet Sugar as always and then go to the bathroom. On my way back through the hallway I realize I am in mush. At first I thought Sugar might have peed on the floor. AS I contine to walk there is more mush. I realize the carpet is saturated with water. Most of the hallway and half the master bed room. I look in the bathroom and no water. The toilet room and there was water. When Ben left for work he said all was fine. So basically at some point in the day I toilet must have overflowed and kept running for a while. I realized my night was NOT going to be working out, eating dinner and relaxing by the fire watching TV. Nope instead it was going to be waiting for Blackmon moring steamatic to come and take care of it. They took about 2 and half hours and it was done. They took out our old saturated pad, pulled the carpet up. Treated the carpet for mildew and then sucked all the water up. It hurt to watch them ripe the carpet up. This house is just a baby. At this point we have had fans on the areas to dry the carpet out and in a few days they will be back to put new pad in and stretch the carpet out and back into place. Then of course to do a good carpet cleaning. I wish we had hardwood...oh wait that might have not been good. Maybe a cool tile. Then I would have just said oh let me go get the mop. Carpet is warm and inviting but hardwood or tile is just so much cleaner. I think of all the crap in carpet and you wonder if cleaning really does anything. I hate that my virgin house had to be ravaged by the carpet cleaning people. I can't look at it the same....LOL Honestly though it does suck when stuff like that happens. I will however say this. I will NEVER take my routine forgranted again. Though at times routine can get boring things like the unexpected flood are not what I am looking for.

1 comment:

Candycane said...

That is biggest fears, b/c it is always something w/ the house but luckily nothing too major. I would that is pretty major. Sucks!I, like you, do not like my routine being changed!