Monday, March 17, 2008

The BED

Well I realize it has been a few days since I have updated my blog...Honestly life gets to you and it can be hard to find the time and the motivation to write. I actually started this knowing that hardly anyone would read my entries but that it would be beneficial to my daily life. It is therapeutic in so many ways and I know I am not the only one who feels that way. So today i will talk about my weekend. Most come and go with nothing out of the ordinary happening. Every so often you have one that stands out and you know it will stand out for years to come.

I got a call from my brother mid week telling me that I could have my grandfathers bed that I thought my grandmother had given to him. Once while on the phone with my mother I mentioned that it would be cool to have his bed. Sentimental me thinking it was a piece of my grandfathers life. Well I looked forward all week to having this bed. I was more excited than even I realized I would be. So when Friday came I called my brother to chat and find out when a good time to pick up the bed would be. We both had nothing major going on so we agreed to switch that night. He would get the futon I had and I the bed. I then preceded to take down a bookshelf that isn't the smallest thing with lots of heavy books down. My husband out of love was helping me but this was absolutely NOT his idea of what he wanted his Friday night to be. I do appreciate him for that. So we slid the bookshelf fairly effortlessly to the bedroom where it now resides. Then on to the futon. It took us at least 40 minutes to figure out how to get it out of the back bedroom. Uhhhhhhh it was so frustrating....we finally figured it out. I mean there was no way to take the darn thing apart and we didn't remember having to put anything together when we bought it. We did however try everything even taking it apart which there truly was no way to. The mattress heavy and awkward. I finally used duck tape to hold it together so I could carry it. The futon needed to be taped also so it wouldn't smash any ones fingers, with the awkward way it had to be carried out. SO finally we get it to Ben's truck and the phone rings. Who could it be but my brother. I had no idea the news was going to be bad. I thought he was wondering what took so long. When I saw the look on my husbands face I knew it wasn't going to be good. He told me my brother had called my grandmother and she told him that if he didn't want it anymore the bed was to come back to her house because it had really been promised to my aunt and my grandmother wanted it at her house for my aunt to sleep on. Ok what can you say to that. After taking a moment to sort out my anger irritation frustration and disappointment....I think how could my brother be so retarded ok maybe retarded isn't the word head up the ass my be better...When I call my brother back I ask did grandma not give the bed to you I thought it was yours. His reply I don't know I honestly don't remember with a little laugh of oh shit in the back round. I say ok then actually we talked more than that but for times sake I won't bore you and myself with all the conversation. Then my mother calls because both me and my brother were blowing up her phone. She basically says yes it needs to go back to grandmas. Well duh!!! Of course it goes to grandma it is her bed to do and give to whomever she wants. I then get off the phone and stand silent for a moment and then tears start to come. I was shocked at how sad I felt. Too many emotions and the biggest one was disappointment. Oh yeah now I remember why I have always hated surprises. Nothing ever seems to live up to your expectations and this thing was no exception. I then went to sit in the empty room that I had so wanted to have hold my beloved grandfathers bed. I sit in the darkness and cry...Until my husband comes in to comfort me. I felt sooooooooooooo stupid for crying or getting disappointed in any way. Is this really a bed I am crying over??? What the H#$!!! So no big deal we put things back and I go off to bed. Only to find out on Sunday afternoon that my very own grandmother had found out through the grapevine about the whole ordeal and of course things got twisted she was told I was very angry with HER! She herself was crying that night about the thought that I was angry,and that she had upset me! She told my mother she tried to call me and no answer and almost drove the 45 minutes to my home she was so sad. I had no idea!!! My heart sank when my mother told me. My mother also told me that my grandfathers dog which he adored was not doing to well and that morning my grandmother found him having trouble breathing. She was sad over that too, and had been crying. My heart hurt thinking my grandmother was going through such a bad few days...Needless to say I called her and we realized she had an old cell phone number. I proceeded to tell my grandmother that I could never be mad at her...I was frustrated and that was it. It was a passing wave of emotion and it was all gone. I had no anger or even disappointment anymore. She told me she wanted me to keep the bed until my aunt wanted it; which honestly it could be a long long time and if I am lucky may even forget about it. Its funny how a piece of furniture can elicit so much emotion and craziness. How funny being human is at times. I feel much better now that the whole thing is worked out. Its just I had no idea how many people a bed could effect and so fast. Now that all is said and done. I realize how important human relationships are and no material item should ever be more important than how a person feels because in the end it is the person that means the most.

2 comments:

Ben There said...

Annabelle,

Congratulations on writing your longest post ever. I was trying to put this event out of my memory.

Remind me to thank your brother for the fun we had :)

Ben

Candycane said...

Awww, I understand the stream of emotions. It was like when we didn't get the 1st house we wanted b/c it had terrible problems. I was heart broken and cried a river. A few days later I found the house in NRH.
Anyway, glad you got the bed. Some sentimental things are that important and there is nothing wrong w/ it.
Ben's reply cracks me up :)