Determination such a big long word and for me it means so much. It is discipline, focus and it takes lots and lots of courage. In low points in your life it can take much determination to get out of the hole. It is believing in the finish line when you have no clue just a very pieced together idea of how you will get to it.
Sometimes you end up in states of mind and have no idea on earth how you got there just one day you felt fine and the next you didn't recognize your own thoughts. I used to believe that really happened. I have learned along my own journey that is never ever how it happens. Unless you have some serious medical condition. Honestly though it seems there are always a chain of events that bring you to the state you find yourself in.
Many people and me included can easily fall victim to there emotions. This can be a very dangerous past time. Feelings can often times be illusions. They are not usually facts they are your take on events surrounding you. For example a person dies that is fact but how you react to it is not. You can choose to cry or contain yourself, get all stressed or let go and accept. We choose our emotions they don't choose us. However many times it can feel like they choose us especially when we don't treat our bodies with the utmost respect they deserve.
Back to determination, it holds different meanings to different people. How determined is the average person to take the sail and sail there own ship or are they more apt to let the ship sail them. By this I mean, just like emotions you can let them dictate the whole day or you can say this is temporary and I am going to enjoy my day to the best of my ability even if I must just go through the motions. Many people will give in at that moment to the feelings of depression tiredness, anger etc. When you choose to sail your own ship you are far less affected by your emotions for any extended period of time.
For me I have begun to really understand this concept in life and it is an extremely important one. Far to many times in the past I have let my emotions determine my state of being. Most people seem content to live this way and think nothing of it. I think they honestly don't know any better.
When we are depressed or angry isn't it more counterproductive to find out how we got that way and then learn to not repeat the process. I will use a day I had recently as an example. I was craving something sweet and decided to stop at the local Starbucks to get a vanilla latte and slice of pond cake. I later found myself depressed and anxious. I wonder why??????? Oh it takes a genius. I poisoned my body and now I had to suffer the consequences it is elementary. Another example I am at home and my husband pissed me off I am angry and frustrated that he doesn't see things my way so I get angry and start arguing. Later my nerves are shot and I feel kinda ill. I could have handled it different. Now I suffer the consequences. Doing these things over and over day in and day out can change your chemical makeup in the body over long periods of time. Stress can absolutely fall in to that category as well. It amazes me how so many of us do things like this daily and then weeks later wonder why we are in a bad state of affairs.
Our bodies can only take so much. They are magnificent things but if you tortured anything with those things it would start to tell you something is wrong please fix it. There has to be accountability for the way we treat our bodies and minds. Instead everyone walks around clueless and wants pills for everything. Then the band aid is laid but the real problem is never ever faced. That logic takes the control out of your hands and puts it in external things. If people only new the power they harness.
Determination for me has been taking a look at myself and my demons and facing them head on. I have learned it takes much determination to do things right in this world. We have TV to escape and food and sex for pleasure. We live in a country where unless it is fun and speaks to our senses no one wants to do it. When I want to sit on the couch and chill all night and day and not work out or spend quality time with my husband or get outside and walk the dog or meditate it takes determination to not give in. The determination that if I don't take care of me I am no good to anyone else and that includes doing the right things especially when I don't want to. I am learning to curb my appetite for fruitless things and moving more toward my core of being. It takes courage and determination and much strength, inner strength.
I want to go beyond what my physical form has to offer and see things deeper than that; experience things deeper than that. That means lots and lots of determination and the road is not easy and very few people choose to travel it.
I however continue to enjoy life and the experiences it has brought to me. Determination is what drives me forward knowing there is so much more than most of us care to claim.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
i am determined to get a starbucks tomorrow, you got me craving one now! lol
you make some good points. I use internet and tv as entertainment, and phone. It sucks when I have to workout or work on school stuff. I get so distracted. However, both are going fine, the working out is going better since i introduced my OWN aerobics. We are so dumb sometimes and think we need a machine or dvd to show us what to do. We freaking know what to do! move your ass!
Post a Comment