It amazes me how people live in complete filth. I don't consider myself overly clean but I do have respect for the things I have managed to acquire. I try and take care of them. That includes my house my car my clothing my yard.... It was my time and energy that have gotten me those things and it is only right that I take care of them.
Recently our rental house was vacated by a renter which had lived there for about 3 years. He had a wife which through her whole pregnancy smoked. The house was for sure going to need new carpet and paint as most rentals do once the tenant moves out. This past weekend we went to see the property. It was filthy. It reeked of smoke and had dust all over it. I thought to myself how can a human live in such filth and be ok with it. My skin crawls when I know it has been awhile since I have cleaned. I have found myself tiptoeing in the bathroom when I realize I haven't cleaned it in a while. I just imagine all the dirt and I can't relax until it is cleaned.
I am not perfect but I do have a limit to filth. I just am amazed at how gross people can be. I remember going to a Christmas party. It was about 2 years ago. It was a coworker of Bens. The guy was about 53 or so and lived in a 2,500 or more square foot house in Grapevine with his wife. I was impressed with the decorations and the house was pretty even though it wasn't my style completely. I was shocked the floor was all sticky and there was a layer of dust in several places in the kitchen. Even the leather couch had dust on it. I thought to myself ok no one is perfect on any given day. Life gets crazy. This however was a Christmas party that had been planned. I mean hire someone if you don't have the time. I guess I try and hold myself to a higher standered. Yes, I have a pile of clothes in my closet that need to be laundered. Yes, I leave clothes on the dryer and don't put them up sometimes. I am not talking about a house looking lived in. I am talking about the nooks and crannies. The parts that really matter. The floors, toilets, sinks, bathtubs, blinds, baseboards, fans, windows, window seals, top of fridge, inside of fridge etc.
I extend this to the yard. I think it is really sad when you see a beautiful home and a yard that is torn to crap. I don't have the prettiest yard in the neighborhood. I honestly don't really get off on yard work or flower beds. However I do think its important to have a manicured yard. Shrubs and trees trimmed and grass cut. The weeds are the worst in the flower beds. I hate pulling weeds apparently so does my husband. So unfortunately I have gotten a little bitchy before about this issue. Honestly I am ready to hire someone to pull the weeds. We have wasps and when you are out sometimes they are around. I really don't like taking chances and the darn wasps come back every year. I feel when you live in a nice neighborhood and everyone else takes care of the yard it is your duty to follow suit. Plus why even bother buying a home in a nice neighborhood and spending good money if you aren't going to keep what you bought looking nice. Go live in the ghetto where people don't care or buy a billion acres in the country where you have no neighbors and it just doesn't matter.
The car a whole other issue. My car is a 2002 Honda civic. It has served me well gets great gas millage and works just fine. I could go purchase a new one tomorrow but I prefer to keep my money where it should be growing and working for me. However, I try to keep it clean and tidy. Again it was hard work and time that bought it. Even though it is old it is still valuable. So again taking care of it with normal maintenance and cleaning from time to time. Why wouldn't you do that. It is pride in ownership.
I look around sometimes and I just wonder how can you appreciate anything if you can't take care of what you currently have. It isn't about showing off or trying to look better than anyone else it is just respect for yourself. I mean you spent your time and hard work acquiring these things and it is out of respect for that that you take care of them. You can't get your time back and you go to work every day to have the nice things and be able to enjoy them.
It isn't even about material items just about honoring the blessings that have come your way. It isn't about obsessing over things either. Just caring enough about yourself and the people in your life. To make things pleasant for them as well as yourself by taking care of things.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
oh god, i hope my house isn't a mess after our renter moves out :(
i wash my car like every week :)
Post a Comment